The Massachusetts Institute of Technology ( MIT ) is one of the most famous technical universities in the United States and around the world , an innovator in the field of robotics, artificial intelligence and information technology.
Tuition fees at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
|Type of training||Age||Continued||Cost/year|
|Undergraduate||16+||4 years||$ 53,450 |
|Master’s degree||20+||1-2 years||$ 53,450 |
|Masters at MIT Sloan||20+||1-2 years||77 168-133 475 USD |
|Doctorate||21+||3 years||$ 53,450 |
The cost of studying at MIT is the same for everyone, regardless of the level of study. For master’s and doctoral studies, the amount is usually divided into semesters. The only exception is the master’s programs of the MIT Sloan School of Management ( MBA , Master of Finance , Master of Business Analytics , SM in Management Studies , etc.)  . Current prices must be checked on the website of the university .
Faculties Massachusetts Institute of Technology
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology has five schools. Unlike many American universities, MIT does not limit schools exclusively to graduate programs : undergraduate studies also take place under their supervision. Inside the school are divided into departments – departments (a kind of department), which are assigned numbers to indicate their respective courses, or programs  .
Most students study at the engineering school – about 70% of bachelors and 45% of master’s and doctoral students  . Next come the School of Exact and Natural Sciences and the School of Management. Among the most popular specializations are computer science, physics, electronic engineering, mathematics and biology  .
A special status has the newly formed College of Information Technology. S. Schwarzman ( MIT Schwarzman College of Computing ). Being a completely new division that interacts with all schools, the College does not currently accept students, but in the future it plans to open new programs in the field of artificial intelligence, as well as create interdisciplinary programs from existing courses  .
The MIT Admission Process
Stages of admission to the undergraduate MIT – Undergraduate
The MIT Admissions Office opens its doors in August, a year before the start of training. By this time, applicants are already encouraged to take exams and collect documents. Unlike most universities, you can enter the Massachusetts Institute of Technology until the age of 17 if the school was completed externally.
As a rule, all applicants must provide results of the standardized American SAT or ACT exam , as well as two profile tests SAT Subject Tests : one in mathematics (level 1 or 2), the other in the field of exact sciences (physics, chemistry or biology). For foreign applicants, there is an alternative option: take the TOEFL instead of the SAT (recommended for those who have recently studied English and use it little). TOEFL has minimum and recommended scores (see table below). There are no such restrictions for the SAT, but it should be borne in mind that, according to statistics, the scores of applicants are extremely high.
In the electronic application, the applicant will be required to indicate the intended specialization, but this is only necessary to demonstrate the current interest of the future student: in the second year, the student will have the opportunity to choose his major without any quotas, restrictions and additional competitions  .
The MIT admissions process is divided into the following steps:
- Passing exams: SAT / ACT or TOEFL + 2 SAT Subject Tests ;
- Creating an account in the university system ( MyMIT account );
- Preparation of required documents;
- Filling out an application for admission in the MyMIT system (questionnaire data, essays, recommendations, test results)  ;
- Payment of the registration fee (75 USD ) or a request for exemption from it ( a fee waiver request );
- Uploading missing documents before one of two deadlines (early applications – Early Action , in general – Regular Decision );
- Passing an interview in person or via Skype (in the absence of a representative of the university – Educational Counselor (EC) – this stage can be skipped, which will not affect the application process);
- Waiting for the decision of the commission;
- Applying for financial assistance ;
- Download the semester progress report – February Updates & Notes Form , including for applications approved in December (available in the MyMIT system from about mid-January);
- Confirmation of intention to study at MIT;
- Applying for a student visa.
MIT Undergraduate Admissions Calendar
|Stage||Early applications||In general order|
|Passing exams (one year before the start of studies)||March – November||March – December|
|Application deadline (including all documents)||Nov. 1||1st of January|
|Commission decision||mid December||mid March|
|Semiannual Evaluation Report / Financial Assistance Application Deadline||until February 15||until February 15|
|Student decision||until May 1||until May 1|
|Start of classes||September||September|
* Actual dates must be checked on the website of the university
Masters and PhDs at MIT – Graduate admissions
To enter one of MIT’s 46 master’s or doctoral programs, an applicant must have a bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in a relevant field. However, the admission process is maximally decentralized even within the same school: some departments require work experience in the specialty, while others, on the contrary, admit the absence of any experience related to the direction of training. Each program has its own online application and its own set of requirements, which should be clarified directly on the page of a particular program .
Particular attention should be paid to the TOEFL / IELTS language exams : in some cases, the admissions committee indicates them as interchangeable (may indicate one as more preferable), in others, IELTS is strictly required . A similar situation exists with standardized GRE / GMAT tests : GRE is most often preferred here .
- Choosing the right program and familiarizing yourself with the requirements;
- Passing a standardized test and a language exam;
- Preparation of documents ;
- Completing the relevant online application;
- Payment of the registration fee (for most programs 75 USD ; for LGO , MBA – 250 USD ; for MBAn , MFin , MSMS – 150 USD ; MIT Sloan PhD – 95 USD );
- Uploading the missing documents before the deadline (the current date must be specified on the website of the university);
- Passing an interview (if necessary);
- Receiving offers for financial assistance;
- Confirmation of intention to study at MIT;
- Applying for a student visa.
MIT Graduate/Doctoral Admissions Calendar
Most of the deadlines fall on December 15 and the first days of January, but some programs organize several rounds of applications at an earlier or later time. Actual dates must be specified on the pages of the programs .
|Opening online applications||September (one year before the start of training)|
|Application Deadline||December – January|
|Interview and decision of the commission||January February March|
|Student Response Deadline for Offers of Financial Aid||April 15 |
|Start of classes||September|
MIT Admission Statistics
Percentage of MIT Undergraduate Admissions in 2019
|of which foreigners||4327||134 (11%)|
|Regular Action (new + delayed after Early Action )||11712+6350||530+190|
|Male to female ratio||–||53% / 47%|
Percentage of MIT Masters and Doctoral Admissions in 2019
|of which foreigners||42.5%|
|Male to female ratio||63% / 37%|
Undergraduate programs: course structure
Undergraduate studies at MIT are characterized by a fairly large set of specializations: 54 majors ( majors ) and 58 minors ( minors )  . All programs are implemented in full-time format (4 years) and lead to the SB – Bachelor of Science degree . To successfully complete the training, the student, first of all, must master the basic program – General Institute Requirements (GIRs). This includes the following elements  :
- Science Requirement (6 subjects in the field of exact and natural sciences – chemistry, physics, mathematics, biology);
- HASS Requirement (8 subjects in the field of social sciences, humanities and arts);
- REST Requirement (2 items from the Restricted Electives in Science and Technology list );
- Laboratory Requirement (laboratory classes with a volume of 12 credits);
- Physical Education Requirement (swimming and other sports courses).
Most of the basic disciplines fall on the first two years of study. Starting from the 2nd year, a profile program is also added to them – Departmental Program , corresponding to the specialization ( major ) chosen already during the study . Throughout the entire period of study, students expand and deepen their knowledge with the help of electives, and also acquire up to two additional specializations.
In addition to the academic program, each student has the opportunity to participate in research projects together with the teaching staff. One of the brightest examples is the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP).
Graduate programs: features and structure of courses
MIT schools offer students the following graduate degrees:
- Master’s : S.M., March, MASc, MBA, MBAn, MCP, MEng, Mfin;
- Engineer’s : CE.EE, EAA, ECS, Enve, MatE, MechE, NavE, NuclE;
- Doctoral : PhD, ScD.
A feature of MIT as an institute of technology is engineering degrees, which involve obtaining more in-depth, compared to master’s programs, knowledge and competencies in the field of engineering and exact sciences, but at the same time, they place less emphasis on research activities compared to doctoral programs. . Education here usually lasts 2 years. The time for mastering other programs varies from 1 to 3.5 years, depending on the direction of training.
Master’s and doctoral students can also choose one of the existing interdisciplinary programs  or create their own educational trajectory with the support of the faculty. In general, any program implies the possibility of choosing subjects for study within various departments, provided that the final curriculum meets the requirements of the main specialization.
MBA degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT is known around the world as a real forge of gifted engineers, but the study of the humanities and economics is also given great attention here. Thus, MIT Sloan School is consistently ranked among the most prestigious business schools in the world ( US News – 1st place, QS – 3rd place), whose diplomas are highly valued by well-known companies in all corners of the planet.
Getting into Sloan is not easy, because the admissions committee is more likely to select applicants with decent business experience, professional achievements, excellent GMAT or GRE test scores , and good references from employers or academics. An equally important step in entering a business school is a personal interview, which can be held at the university itself, via Skype or in major cities around the world.
At Sloan, you can get a master’s degree in finance, an MBA and even a PhD . The cost of studying under the classic MBA program is about 79,000 USD per year  .
Scholarships and grants at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
The doors of the Massachusetts Institute are open to all talented applicants, regardless of their country of residence. Moreover, almost all types of financial assistance are available to international students on a par with US citizens. The admission committee of the university considers not the numbers on the candidate’s bank account, but the applicant himself, his potential, ability to think and find non-standard solutions for simple tasks. Therefore, most of the financial aid is awarded based on the financial situation of the student ( need-based aid ).
At the undergraduate level, the most common scholarship is the MIT Scholarship , which averages $ 48,000 per year  . 59% of students become scholarship holders. IF THE FAMILY INCOME IS BELOW $ 90,000 , MIT promises to fully cover all student tuition costs (the cost of the course itself, accommodation in a university dormitory, travel and meals), which actually allows about 31% of undergraduate students to study at MIT for free. To receive financial assistance, an applicant must provide a package of documents, which includes a certificate of parents’ income and a bank statement on the status of accounts. In addition to MIT ScholarshipA first-year student may receive a small amount to cover the costs of moving ( First Year Grant – 2,000 USD ).
The US government also offers a number of federal grants at the undergraduate level  . One of the most famous is the Pell Grant ( Federal Pell Grant ) in the amount of up to 6,345 USD . Typically, a student submits a single Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form every year , according to which his candidacy is automatically considered for all grants at once.
Finally, a fairly common way of funding for American universities is student loans, which, unlike grants and scholarships, must be repaid after some time. At MIT, the only loan program available to international students, the MIT Technology Loan , provides loans at 7% for up to 10 years after graduation. Interest also begins to accrue only after graduation. FOR AMOUNTS OVER USD 3,400 , a guarantor is required.
At the master’s and doctoral levels, financial aid at MIT is provided by individual schools and departments. The possibility of obtaining it largely depends on the specific program. For nearly half of MIT students, financial support comes in the form of paid positions: research or teaching assistants [30 ] .
About 26% of students receive scholarships ( fellowships ) based on low income, various achievements and research activity  . Future academics are often financed by alternative funds, well-known IT corporations and large research companies, which in this way look after their employees. The amount of assistance may partially or fully cover the cost of education (depending on the scale and importance of the research project)  .
Some graduate students participate in paid internships or moonlight as tutors for bachelors living in a hostel ( resident tutors ).
Prospects after graduating from MIT
Graduates of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are always in demand in the labor market. According to statistics, 39% of undergraduate students receive a job offer after completing an internship as part of their studies. About 53% of students find jobs through job fairs, 38% get jobs through MIT partnerships, and 47% get jobs through the university ‘s career service , professional conferences, or other networking sites. The total amount exceeds 100%, since the listed resources often complement each other.
Of all graduates, approximately 55% choose a job, 36% continue their education at MIT and other leading universities in the world (including Stanford , Harvard , University of California , Cambridge and others). As for master’s degree graduates, 82% choose employment as the next step, 13% choose further doctoral studies.
|PhD (postdocs)||$ 64,258|
|PhD (employment)||$ 122,755|
The leading areas of employment are information technology, finance and insurance, and scientific research. Graduates of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are offered jobs by such eminent companies as Google, Apple, Oracle, Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, Ford Motor Company, McKinsey & Company, US Air Force, Bank of America, Amgen, ExxonMobil , etc. 
Doctoral students receive offers from the institute itself, as well as from Harvard , Stanford , and Princeton Universities .
Scientific achievements Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- At MIT, a rover was created that will receive oxygen from carbon dioxide.
- In 2014, scientists from the institute invented a wax and foam material that can change from solid to liquid and vice versa.
- Here they invented a stereo screen that corrects vision without glasses.
- The institute is working on the technology of wireless power transmission.
- The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is creating a “smart” form for the US Army with microfibers that detect light, heat and send signals.
- The institute is working on the DarkLight project : scientists create dark matter in the laboratory.
Interesting Facts About MIT
- There are interesting turmoil marks on the Harvard Bridge. This unit of length was invented by MIT students in 1950. They moved Oliver Smoot (a university student) across the bridge and made appropriate marks. As a result, the guys decided that the length of the bridge is 364.4 smoots and one ear ( 364.4 smoots plus one ear ). Interestingly, this unit of measurement is rarely, but used. It is 1.7 meters. A former student at the institute, Oliver Smoot later became the head of the International Organization for Standardization.
- According to the plot of the film “Iron Man” ( Iron Man ), the main character Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- The famous mathematician, Nobel Prize winner in economics John Forbes Nash Jr., whose life story is shown in Ron Howard’s A Beautiful Mind , worked in the educational institution .
- The Institute does not award honorary degrees: it is believed that you can only be proud of your achievements, and graduating from MIT is already a great honor. Honorary professorships were awarded only twice in exceptional cases: they were awarded to Winston Churchill and Salman Rushdie.
- The term “hacker” was first used within the walls of the university, initially it was applied to students who found a quick way to solve a particular problem, but the method itself was not distinguished by elegance and originality.
- Anyone can listen to a course of lectures from MIT teachers on the official website of the institute.
- MIT owns its own nuclear reactor.