The University of Southern California is a private university in the USA . The university was opened in 1880 in Los Angeles thanks to the efforts of lawyer Robert Widney. The source of funding was the donations of several key figures in the history of Los Angeles: Ozro Childs, John Gately Downey, Isaiah Hellman, and others. In the 19th century, the university was located in a single building. Over time, the university has become one of the largest and most prestigious educational institutions in the world. The University of Southern California is affiliated with the University of California along with the University of California and UCLA .
University of Southern California Benefits
The University of Southern California has 17 faculties. The main pride of the university is the School of Arts and Humanities, where the most research is carried out and the best programs in architecture , design , film studies and journalism are offered – many of these programs are included in the world top 60. No less famous is the USC business school , which has excellent indicators for the employment of graduates. Faculty of MedicineThe University of Southern California is very popular with future doctors, especially the departments of gerontology, general medicine and pharmacy. In 2015, USC ranked first for the quality of education that journalists and communications professionals receive.
Requirements for admission to the University of Southern California
- Applicants from countries whose school system does not correspond to the American one can still enroll after high school. To do this, you will need to translate the certificate and extract with grades into English.
- A prerequisite for foreigners is the passage of standardized tests: for schoolchildren it will be SAT or ACT , for masters and doctors – GRE and GMAT .
- For those whose first language is not English, a certificate of high proficiency is required. To do this, you need to pass the TOEFL exam with results from 100 points, IELTS from 7.0 points or PTE from 68 points.
- The student will also need to write a motivation letter , and applicants for post-graduate programs will also need to provide letters of recommendation and an academic resume .
The deadline for the first stage of selection for other specialties is January 5th . Until that time, foreigners need to send electronic documents and a completed application on the university website. Application deadlines for business or arts majors may vary.
Tuition fees and scholarships at the University of Southern California
Tuition at the University of Southern California averages $51,442 FOR two semesters (a year). You also need to pay fees in the amount of 841 USD and 350 USD student fee for the first semester. Food and lodging costs 14,348 USD per year. For books and teaching materials you will need 1,200 USD ; transport costs are about 580 USD . The total cost is about 70,000 USD .
USC awards grants and scholarships to students who have demonstrated significant academic achievement or who are working on productive research. The scholarship is about 19,300 USD per year. Financing is possible from patrons or the university itself, from charitable foundations.
Building the University of Southern California
The central building of the University of Southern California is located in downtown Los Angeles. People call this part of the university the Park Campus, as the area around it is very picturesque. The rest of the university buildings are located throughout Los Angeles. There are branches in the capital and in Sacramento (California).
University students have the opportunity to play golf, hockey, tennis, water polo at specially equipped sports complexes.
The University of Southern California has all the conditions for recreation during a break between studies: spacious open areas, cozy parks. Technological laboratories and research centers are equipped for teaching students. The university has gyms for physical health and a large library.
Notable faculty and alumni of the Universities of Southern California
- George Lucas is a film director, producer, screenwriter. Co-founder of American Zoetrope, Lucasfilm Ltd. Creator of Star Wars, films about the adventures of Indiana Jones;
- One of the richest filmmakers in the world (the capital is more than 3 USD billion) Tom Main is an American architect, author of the “Tower of the Sun” in Seoul, the headquarters of the California Department of Transportation, the Parisian skyscraper “Far”;
- Neil Armstrong is a NASA astronaut, test pilot and the first person to walk on the moon.
Interesting facts about the university
- In 2008-2009 academic years, 510 USD million were spent on scientific research.
- The University of Southern California football team, the Trojans, is recognized as one of the strongest and is famous throughout the United States.
Popular Hollywood films were filmed on the campus of the University of Southern California. Among them are Legally Blonde, The Graduate and Forrest Gump.