Columbia University – Columbia University – one of the oldest universities in the United States, is a member of the Ivy League association , which includes the most prestigious American universities, distinguished by an elitist culture and high standards of education.
Infrastructure and location of Columbia University
The main campus of Columbia University is located in Manhattan – in a prestigious area of New York . The buildings of the university occupy 32 acres of land or six city blocks around 116th Street and Broadway. The campus was designed by the famous American company McKim, Mead & White, which designed many famous buildings in the country, including the Manhattan City Hall. The buildings of the campus are mostly made in the classical style. The University Library (Low Memorial Library) is the administrative center of the university.
The main campus of Columbia University is of great interest to tourists, as several of its buildings are included in the National Register of Historic Places. The Butler Library is considered one of the most beautiful college libraries in the United States. Philosophy Hall is listed as the site of the invention of FM radio. Enrico Fermi’s first experiments on uranium fission took place at Pupin Hall.
On the university campus there are libraries and laboratories, a chapel, and behind its walls the life of the “Big Apple” is in full swing – an open and free New York. One of the university’s research centers is the Medical Center in Washington Heights. Within a few years, another Columbia University campus will appear here, now it is under construction.
At the northern tip of Manhattan Island are the university’s stadiums. Another research facility of the university is the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, which is located on the Hudson, 30 kilometers from Manhattan. The Nevis Laboratories network of university laboratories is located in Irvington, here scientists are engaged in the study of elementary particle physics.
History of Columbia University
The educational institution was founded in 1754 as King’s College. The first home of the college was the Trinity Church, located in Lower Manhattan (Trinity Church), and the number of first students did not exceed 8 people. In the medical department of the college in 1767, the degree of Doctor of Medicine MD (Doctor of Medicine) was first awarded. From the very first years of its existence, the college had a noticeable impact on the political and social life of the United States: famous people studied and taught here, including several founding fathers of the United States.
In 1784, the college became known as Columbia. The educational institution moved several times to different buildings within Manhattan. The college received university status in 1912. Along with achievements in medicine, applied and natural sciences, the university has been successfully implementing programs of humanitarian and creative specialties for decades. Campus buildings, libraries, university clinics are being built. In 1912, the School of Journalism was founded within the walls of Columbia University, according to the will of Joseph Pulitzer, where the well-known publicist prize is awarded to this day.
Columbia University students have always been distinguished by a strong political position and participation in the public life of the country. In the late 60s of the last century, serious anti-war unrest took place at the university – students protested against actions in Vietnam. The unrest turned into a student riot. The protests continued for several months, and the next couple of years turned out to be the most critical for the university. In the late 70s and early 80s, students again expressed their dissatisfaction with the protests: students considered it inappropriate to invest in South Africa because of the policy of racial segregation.
Faculties of Columbia University
Columbia University has 18 faculties, schools and colleges that offer a variety of undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs.
Three faculties are involved in the education of undergraduate students , including Columbia College (Columbia College), the Faculty of Humanities (School of General Studies), the Faculty of Applied Sciences and Engineering (Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science). Columbia University students have the opportunity to choose one of several dozen specialties, which is quite difficult. For example, only one Columbia College prepares students in 80 scientific specializations. In addition to their majors, students can study under a combined plan (multiple majors) or an accelerated program.
The remaining 15 faculties offer master’s and doctoral programs, the most popular direction among students is the master’s program in the field of finance and risks in investments.
Two colleges are affiliated with Columbia University – Teachers College and Barnard College, as well as two seminaries – Union Theological Seminary and Jewish Theological Seminary of America. The colleges organize accelerated courses for those who want to enter Columbia University. The university also organizes English language courses (American, intensive, professional), courses in bioethics, managerial management, and even alternative medicine.
Scientific achievements of Columbia University
- Enrico Fermi conducted the first experiments on the fission of uranium at Columbia University.
- Columbia University invented the first laser.
- Today, there are more than 30 types of medicines on the pharmaceutical market based on the discoveries and inventions of Columbia University (drugs for arthritis, glaucoma, cancer therapy drugs and prostheses for people with disabilities).
- Within the walls of the university, the American neuroscientist, Nobel Prize winner in chemistry in 2008, Martin Chalfi was the first to use the green fluorescent protein, which is now actively used in cellular and molecular biology.
- Engineering professor Dimitris Anastasiou developed the MPEG-2 high-quality audio and video transmission algorithm at Columbia University.
Why choose Columbia University?
- At Columbia University, more than 250 student communities of interest are organized (sports clubs, student fraternities, acting circles, etc.). University students have the opportunity to attend extra-curricular academic events, language courses, creative circles absolutely free of charge.
- More than 95% of university graduates find a well-paid job within 6 months after graduation.
- At Columbia University, you can take your time choosing a specialty. A student can attend elective subjects for several semesters, and then finally decide which specialty suits him best.
- The university is located in the heart of New York, in the prestigious area of the city – Manhattan, where hundreds and thousands of fashion stores, financial institutions, banks and offices of well-known companies are concentrated.
- Each Columbia University student is guaranteed campus accommodation for the entire duration of their studies.
- Columbia University is proud of its distinguished alumni, including three US presidents (Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Barack Obama), 94 Nobel laureates, over 100 Pulitzer Prize winners, and 20 billionaires.
Tuition fees at Columbia University
The average cost of studying for a bachelor’s program at Columbia University is about 24,000 USD per year. To get a master’s degree, a student will have to pay from 16,000 USD to 43,000 USD per year. The most expensive training programs are offered at Columbia Business School and the School of Law. Doctoral studies are usually covered by various grants and scholarships provided by the university or alternative foundations. Financial assistance is allocated to the student for the organization of research work.
Grants and scholarships at Columbia University
Universities that are members of the prestigious Ivy League association pay special attention to the financial support of their students. Columbia University also has a program of financial assistance, which aims to provide students in need with tuition grants or scholarships. Documents for receiving a social scholarship are submitted along with papers for admission to a university. According to statistics, 50-60% of students receive such assistance, and the average financial aid package exceeds 30,000 USD per year per student. Interestingly, financial assistance is paid from funds donated to the university by its alumnus, billionaire and media mogul John Kluge. 400 USD million were donated for scholarships .
In addition to financial assistance from the university, students can count on funding from third-party organizations, government and private foundations. Basically, scholarships are encouraged to students who take an active part in the life of the university, showing success in education, sports or research activities.
At Columbia University, it is possible to receive academic scholarships, including under the programs of John Kluge, John Jay, Prescott-Davis, Egleston. The university has a program of grants for scientific research (Science Research Fellows). Grants and scholarships are available at all levels of study. The approximate amount of scholarships is from 800 USD to 4,200 USD per month.
The Ditson Conductor’s Grant for Musicians is the oldest award of its kind in the United States and is traditionally presented at Columbia University. The Louise Gross Horwitz grant in the field of biology or biochemistry is interesting in that 50% of its recipients subsequently become Nobel Prize winners. Apply for a scholarship
Features of admission to Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the most selective educational institutions in the country. The admission committee of the university, first of all, pays attention to the academic performance of the applicant, which is why they require not just a certificate of secondary education, but also grades for four years of study at school. In addition to the general SAT tests (from 2150 to 2400 points) or ACT (from 32 to 35 points), for admission to undergraduate programs, you also need to pass two more subject SATs (in your specialization). Applicants must provide two references from former teachers. In addition to an essay in English, admission will also require a motivation letter and the results of the TOEFL Ibt exam (at least 100 points) or IELTS (at least 7.0). In some cases, the university appoints an interview to the applicant. For admission to creative specialties, a portfolio may be required.
Applicants wishing to enroll in a master’s program must provide the Columbia University Admissions Office with a standard package of documents consisting of a diploma with a scale of points , a letter of motivation, two academic recommendations from teachers or academics, TOEFL ibt test scores (at least 100 points) or IELTS (at least 7.0) and an essay in English (the topic is determined by the admission committee). A mandatory requirement for future masters is to pass the GRE test with a high score and GMAT (for admission to the Faculty of Finance and the MBA program). The university also requires documentary evidence of funds and a detailed resume.
Statistics of students admitted to Columbia University
In 2016, Columbia University’s admissions office received more than 34,000 applications from applicants, but only 2,419 people were enrolled in the ranks of students, which is about 6.9% of the total number of applicants.
Columbia University Application Deadlines
The deadline for applying for admission to Columbia University is different for each faculty (depending on the specialty), but for most programs, applications are accepted until December 15 .
Additional Opportunities – Double Degree Studies at Columbia University
Columbia University offers double degree programs. Students have the opportunity to receive two specialties at once at the same time at the university itself or at one of the partner universities with which Columbia University has signed agreements. Among the partners of the university are the Institute of Political Studies in Paris (undergraduate programs only), Drew University , Paris I University (possible to obtain a master’s degree in art history) and the London School of Economics .
MBA program at Columbia University
Columbia Business School, affiliated with Columbia University, offers MBA programs with the possibility of obtaining a PhD in business or management. Columbia Business School is one of the top ten best business schools in the world, annually confirming its status with a high quality of education. Participants in MBA programs have the opportunity to receive a scholarship for high academic performance, another reason for awarding assistance may be the need (need) if the student is in a difficult financial situation.
Columbia Business School is located right in Manhattan, in the heart of the Big Apple, where financial and commercial life is in full swing all day long. It is here that the most famous insurance, financial, consulting corporations, advanced IT companies and banks are located, where graduates of Columbia University MBA programs are highly valued. The average cost of studying for an MBA program is 45,000 USD per year.
International exchange programs and internships at Columbia University
Columbia University has student exchange programs that allow young professionals to learn from their colleagues abroad. Students can study for a semester or a year at one of the prestigious universities in America or Europe . Columbia University has signed an agreement with the University of Luxembourg , which allows two Columbia Law (Law School) students to spend a semester in Luxembourg (available to PhD students). Future lawyers can also go to Oxford University or University Paris I for one semester. Engineering students have the opportunity to study for a full semester or take a year of study at Howard University(USA) or Spelman College (Atlanta).
Employment Assistance After Graduating From Columbia University
It is quite difficult for young professionals without work experience to find a good job in the first months after graduation, and Career Service staff who help students in finding suitable vacancies understand this very well. The Career Center at Columbia University conducts special trainings and seminars, arranges job fairs, where students and graduates can get to know future employers better, choose the right job for themselves, learn how to write a resume, and also arrange an internship in one of the top companies in New York . According to university statistics, more than 50% of Columbia University students find a job while still studying (with the help of the Career Center).
The cost and conditions of living in dormitories at Columbia University
Columbia University provides its students with comfortable dormitories and guarantees a place in a student residence during the first four years of study. As a rule, first-year students live in separate dormitories, senior students are given the choice of living in one-room apartments or in one of the campus dormitories. According to statistics, 94% of Columbia University students live on the campus of the university (its colleges), the remaining 6% rent housing.
Students are offered furnished or empty rooms. You can independently purchase the necessary furniture and appliances, relying on your taste and capabilities. Regular rooms are furnished with beds, a desk, chairs, a large closet and shelves for books. Shower and toilet are designed for several rooms. The kitchens are shared, but equipped with all necessary appliances for comfortable cooking. For living in one of these rooms you will have to pay at least 600 USD per month.
Renting individual apartments will cost more – up to 1,000 USD per month, since the rooms here are more spacious, with a private kitchen and a bathroom. Students who wish to live off campus can contact the student organization, which helps in finding suitable housing.
Notable Columbia University alumni and faculty
- Franklin Roosevelt is a well-known politician, the 32nd President of the United States, who led the country during World War II and the global economic crisis.
- Madeleine Albright is a statesman and political figure who served as US Secretary of State during the reign of President Bill Clinton. Known as the first woman to hold such a position.
- Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States and a former Federal Senator from Illinois. In 2009 he received the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Joseph Pulitzer bequeathed two million dollars to his alma mater, Columbia University. Part of the funds went to the creation of a school of journalism, part is awarded to outstanding literary figures and famous reporters in the form of a prize.
- Among the teachers, Edwin Howard Armstrong should be noted, who created the world’s first radio broadcasting network based on frequency modulation – FM radio.
- Jake Gyllenhaal is an American film, theater and television actor, winner of the BAFTA British Academy Film Award, known for the films Brokeback Mountain, Prince of Persia, and Captives.
- Warren Edward Buffett is an American businessman, is the world’s largest investor with a fortune of 73 USD billion. He is also known for very large donations to charitable organizations.
Interesting facts about Columbia University
- Columbia University has an extensive network of old underground tunnels. Some of them remain available to the public to this day.
- Columbia University has the oldest orchestra in the United States, which was formed in 1896. An interesting tradition is associated with the orchestra: the day before the exam in organic chemistry, the musicians arrange an “Orgo Night” (Orgo Night). To support students during pre-exam preparation, the orchestra performs musical pieces at night in various parts of the campus.
- Researchers at Columbia University patent about 175 new medical inventions each year.
- Every year, within the walls of Columbia University, a mediocre rhyme literary competition is held, where the content of poems is much more important than a beautiful syllable or a clear rhythm.
Columbia University Admissions Process
Columbia University, like all universities belonging to the elite association “Ivy League”, is interested in finding talented and extraordinary students who have achieved some success in various areas of life: teaching, scientific, organizational, sports or charitable activities. Of course, candidates go through a tough competitive selection, which consists of a whole series of examination tests, including a language exam. An equally important requirement is the provision of academic recommendations from teachers or professors, writing an essay on the topic chosen by the admissions committee, a detailed resume, which indicates all the positive characteristics of the applicant (his victories in competitions, prizes at olympiads and sports achievements).
A separate item worth noting motivation letter , which plays a very important role during admission. The commission selects students who are close to the university in spirit, therefore, in a motivation letter, you need to disclose your plans for the future, short-term and long-term goals, and also describe why the applicant wants to study at Columbia University. Some applicants may be assigned a personal interview with an academician.
An important role in considering the candidacy of an applicant is played by correctly completed application documents. It is important not only to collect the necessary papers, but also to arrange them according to the standards adopted at Columbia University. Even a small lexical or grammatical error can lead to refusal of admission.
If you are not sure that you can independently collect and complete the entire package of documents for admission to Columbia University, we are ready to offer our professional assistance today:
- We will help you collect the necessary documents
- We will increase the chances of receiving financial assistance from a university or an alternative fund, we will help in choosing a scholarship program
- We will prepare documents for obtaining a visa, reduce the risk of refusal due to incorrectly executed paperwork
Summer Schools at Columbia University
|Min. cost of education||$ 10,820|
|total cost||from 12 370 USD|
|Min. duration||2 weeks|
|Age of students||15 to 18 years old|
|Accommodation||on the territory of the university|
Columbia University has one summer school program for students aged 15-18, which, however, is a very interesting option for those who want to experience life in one of the largest cities in the United States and at the same time try their hand at one of the universities of the prestigious Ivy League – the same age as Moscow University. Thanks to the city campus, the summer school at Columbia University is filled not only with classes and workshops, but also with excursions around New York and visiting a variety of evening events. Summer school can be an interesting option for those who appreciate the atmosphere of city life.
The cost of participation in summer schools at Columbia University
The fees below include tuition fees, meals, and on-campus accommodation.
|summer dive||$ 10,820||3 weeks|
Requirements for participation in summer schools at Columbia University
|Program||Age, years||TOEFL iBT||IELTS||Deadline|
|summer dive||fifteen-eighteen||90||6.5||before the recruitment of the study group|
Columbia Summer School Admission Process
- Selection of suitable courses for an affordable summer school program;
- Passing the TOEFL iBT or IELTS language exams and obtaining the appropriate certificate;
- Preparation of documents from the school: an extract on school performance for the last three years; calculation of the GPA score for application to statements; two recommendations;
- Preparation of a notarized translation of an extract on school performance;
- Essay writing in English;
- Preparation and submission of an online application and payment of the cost of consideration of the application. Waiting for the response of the selection committee (about three weeks). Information about enrollment comes by e-mail;
- Making an advance payment in the amount of 1,000 USD ;
- Applying for a tourist visa B-2;
- Payment of course fees.